Mining Acts Review
In 2016 a major review of South Australia's mining laws commenced. Community and industry feedback was sought through engagement with more than 1800 stakeholders through emails, information sessions and face-to-face meetings. More than 130 public submissions were received.
Following the review the Statutes Amendment (Leading Practice in Mining) Bill 2017 was introduced to the South Australian Parliament. Amendments were proposed to the Mining Act 1971, the Mines and Works Inspection Act 1920 and the Opal Mining Act 1995. This Bill passed in the House of Assembly in 2017 but lapsed in the Legislative Council when Parliament ended prior to the 2018 election.
Mining Act Amendments 2018
At the opening of Parliament on 3 May 2018, the Governor indicated the Government would re-introduce similar legislation.
The Government committed to review the proposed amendments and stakeholder feedback received during the 2017 consultation process. On 2 August 2018 the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Bill 2018 was introduced into Parliament.
These amendments will deliver on the Government’s commitment to undertake necessary reforms to the Mining Acts to responsibly unlock the value and opportunities of our mineral resources.
This Bill will be the first phase of a broader suite of legislative, regulation and policy review that will help this Government to deliver its agenda of increasing exports and employment, particularly in regional areas, and improving regulatory efficiency for business.
A regular renewal process of review and amendment will be established to ensure that South Australia remains at the forefront of international trends and practices in mining regulation.
- Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Bill 2018 (PDF 641 KB)
- Exploration of Clauses: Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Bill 2018: Explanation of Clauses (PDF)
- Guide to the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Bill 2018 (PDF)
- Summary of changes between 2017 and 2018 Mining Bills (PDF)
As further guidance material is developed it will also be released on this website.
To access related materials please click on the links below:
- Public Submissions
- Discussion Paper 1: Mines and Works Inspections Act 1920 and Regulations
- Discussion Paper 2: Mining Act 1971 and Regulations
- Discussion Paper 3: Opal Mining Act 1995 and Regulations
- Mining Act 1971
- Mining Regulations 2011
- Mines and Works Inspections Act 1920
- Mines and Works Inspection Regulations 2013
- Opal Mining Act 1995
- Opal Mining Regulations 2012
For further information:
- Email DEM.MiningActReview@sa.gov.au
- Phone: Customer Services on 8463 3000