On this page
The Mining Registrar is required by law (under sections 6 and 15A of theMining Act 1971) to keep a register of:
- registered claims
- leases and licences issued under the Mining Act
- instruments registered under the Mining Act.
A distinct part of the Mining Register must be maintained for the registration of agreements and determinations under Part 9B (Native title land) of the Mining Act (see section 63ZBA).
As required by the Mining Act, any search queries will incur a fee.
A person may, upon payment of the prescribed fee, inspect the register. However some components of the Mining Register are considered confidential and are not available for inspection. Departmental files are not part of the Mining Register and the files and their contents are not public information.
- Extract from Mining Register - standard search query
- summary of tenement information extracted from the Mining Register comprising a tenement printout and an instrument printout
- a tenement printout will provide general information such as holder details, grant and expiry dates and location information
- an instrument report will provide a summary of and dealings registered against the mining tenement since it was granted (an instrument report cannot be supplied separately)
- summary of exploration licence application (ELA)
- summary of tenements held by a particular client
- summary of tenements located in a specific area
- Extract from Mining Register - customised search query
If a query of the Mining Register cannot be answered by an existing report within the system a customised report may be produced. This may take longer to complete.
- Extract from Mining Register - copy of mining tenement (lease or licence document)
Copies of lease and licence documents, including the conditions that apply to the tenement, including the conditions that apply to the tenement. This search will include an instrument printout (a summary of any dealings registered against the tenement since grant).
- Application for issues of duplicate lease or licence
- Inspection of Mining Register
A search of the Mining Register may be undertaken in any of the following ways:
|Online:||Selected standard search queries can be executed online through the South Australian Mining Register online search|
|Facsimile:||+61 8 8463 3101|
|Post letter to:|
Department of the Premier and Cabinet
|Deliver letter to:|
The online search tool will calculate the cost and provide a payment facility.
If you are not using the online tool and require confirmation of the approximate cost of your search before it is done please advise in your written request. An exact cost may not be known until the search is complete.
To avoid delays in the processing of your request:
- Provide as much detail as possible about the search query - tenement numbers, holder details, map references (e.g. Hundreds, sections, plan numbers)
- Provide contact details so you can be contacted to clarify any queries
- Have payment ready when your query is completed
Online searches can be accessed 24 hours, 7 days a week and results will be provided to the nominated email address upon payment for the search.
Other standard search queries may take up to 2 business days to complete.
Customised search queries may take longer, depending on the complexity of the request.
Most search results can be provided in the following ways:
- electonically as .PDF or by email
- in hard-copy for collection at Level 7, 101 Grenfell Street, Adelaide
- in hard-copy for delivery by mail or by fax.
If you are not using the online system, when a search query is completed a member of the Mineral Tenements team will contact you to confirm your details and arrange payment.
Payment can be made:
- over the phone by credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
- by mail with a cheque or money order
- in person (level 7, 101 Grenfell Street, Adelaide) by credit card, cheque, money order or cash.
Search fees cannot be paid by bank transfer.
Payment must be made before the search results can be released.
A tax receipt will be provided at the completion of the transaction, however a tax invoice cannot be generated prior to payment.
For more information, contact:
Mineral Resources Division
Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Phone: +61 8 8463 3103