SA Geodata is DSD's primary corporate geoscientific data repository captures mineral exploration data derived by industry reporting requirements and government exploration programs since 1850s.
On this page
- Identify tool, located in the Menu Toolbox under the Search/Identify drop-down.
- Rock Sample Analysis, located in the Menu Toolbox under the Database drop-down.
Rock Sample Quick Search is located in the Menu Toolbox under the Database, Rock Sample Analysis drop-down as shown in image below.
The Rock Sample Analysis Quick Search allows a state-wide search using the most common sampling searching criteria.
- Rock Sample Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Site Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Drillhole Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Drillhole Name: Original drillhole name
Rock Sample Analysis map search is located in the Menu Toolbox under the Database, Rock Sample Analysis drop-down as shown in image below.
When the Advanced map search option is selected from the Main Toolbox menu a new Map based database search widget will display on the SARIG map.
Map based database widget
The Map based database widget will default to Rock Sample Analysis selection, draw an area of interest of the map (search area limited to 2 x 2 degrees).
Once the area of interest has been drawn the Results widget will display on screen, Click the Rock Sample Search header highlighted in blue. A new internet browser tab will open displaying the SA Geodatabase - Rock Sample Advanced Search form.
The Rock Sample Advanced Search allows users to directly search SA Geodata using the filter options provided, see image below.
The Rock Sample Advanced Search also contains an additional Biostratigrapy searching critera intergrated into the Rock Sample Advanced form. To include biostratigrapy search critera click the expansion plus sign (+) to view the added options (see image below).
The Rock Sample Search Results form returns a list of all samples available in the area of interest drawn filtered by options provided in the advanced search form.
In addition it provides users with:
- Rock Sample Details: Click the magnify glass image or the Sample Number (blue hyperlink) to view the sample details. Sample details include, location, Geochemistry, Biostratigraphy, Petrology, Geochronlogy(under construction) and reference information.
- Rock Sample Summary and Rock Sample has: Rock Sample data and data indicators of sample data stored in SA Geodata
- Export results to excel: Click the Export to results (blue hyperlink), downloads the sample search results table.
- Download results: Click the Download results data package to view package type. If download button is greyed out (not available you have exceeded the maximum number of records (2500), please refine your searching criteria.
- Number of Records Returned:Number of records return for the searching criteria, in the example below six records have returned.
Select a Download Package, then click the download button.
- The Rock Sample Details comprised of 7 tabs displaying data captured in SA Geodata:
- Details: Collar, Survey and general sample details.
- Location: Sample Coordinates and MapSheet data.
- Geochemistry: Drillhole (interval) and Surface sampling geochemistry results.
- Biostratigraphy: Biostratigraphy sample analysis results, includes Biostrat Chart where available.
- Petrology: Petrology - thin section sample analysis results, includes thin section images where available.
- Gechronology: Under construction
- References: Links to Publications and Reports database where sample was originally reported.
The Rock Sample Details form also provides SA Geodata - Database Information Downloads, this includes an Explanation of the Stratigraphic Map Symbol and GIS code System document.
DSD's stratigraphic units are used consistently across the states geological maps and this document explains the hierarchical sequence of the GIS Code and Map Symbol.
For more information, contact:
Phone: +61 8 8463 4012
Level 7, 101 Grenfell Street
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Phone: + 61 8 8463 3000